Burnley Women 0 SAFC Ladies 0 (after extra time), Burnley win 3-1 on penalties

Sunderland Ladies suffered heartbreak as they were beaten on penalties by Burnley Women in the Women’s FA Cup.

At the end of a fiercely contested but goalless tie, goalkeeper Lauren Bracewell made the decisive save from Louise Griffiths to give the Clarets a 3-1 victory in the shootout.

Second round hat-trick hero Eve Blakey’s early set the tone for a frantic first half, in which the Black Cats had most of the possession. In the opening seconds, the young forward shot straight at Bracewell with Abbie Joice next to test the stopper after a weaving run.

The resulting corner was whipped into the box by Emily Scarr and met by Holly Manders, who headed narrowly wide.

Burnley’s first sight of goal came after 20 minutes from a volley which flashed inches past the post and then, moments later, Scarr’s freekick from distance produced another stop from Bracewell as the game began to open up.

Just before half time, Black Cats captain Keira Ramshaw came closest to opening the scoring when her mis-hit cross clattered the crossbar – the ball was cleared straight to the feet of Jess Brown, but her curling effort was well saved.

Mel Reay’s side upped the tempo in as they pushed for a breakthrough, but it was Burnley who had the first chance of the second half. A dangerous corner fell to Evie Priestley six yards out, who fired over the bar.

Substitute Emily Hutchinson almost capitalised on a mistake from the Clarets defence at the other end but her first-time strike flew agonisingly wide with Bracewell well out of position.

As full time loomed, Ramshaw, Hutchinson and Manders all had good opportunities to win the tie late on but failed to hit the target, as did Burnley’s Nic Worthington.

In extra time, Scarr beat the offside trap from Ramshaw’s pass but Bracewell was quick to smother the danger. The forward found herself behind Burnley’s defence again but was once again denied by an outstanding save from the Lancashire side’s keeper.

The game swung from end to end as both sides desperately pushed forward, Brown and Griffiths almost winning the game for Sunderland from distance then Claudia Moan superbly collecting the ball at her near post from Burnley’s final attack.

With a shoot-out needed to settle the tie, Cara Bickett, Scarr and Katie Thomas converted their spot-kicks, with Bracewell denying Brown before Worthington struck the upright. Black Cats defender Grace McCatty saw her penalty saved before Megan Dykes stepped up to make it 3-1, blasting into the top corner.

Needing to score, Griffiths produced another stop from Bracewell which sent Burnley through to a glamour fourth round tie against Manchester United Women.